How to determine if Pinterest is the right social media platform for your small business
While it may appear to simply be a site for saving the odd recipe or searching for a fun summer craft, Pinterest is actually the second most influential network in social media users’ purchasing decisions. Recent research shows that 87% of Pinners have purchased a product because of Pinterest and 72% use Pinterest to decide what to buy offline. Additionally, Pinterest features deep penetration in key demographics, specifically with millennials, middle-aged women, and recently with a surge of new male users. With 250 million monthly users, Pinterest is worth your consideration when you are choosing the optimal social media sites to target with your small business marketing plan.
So how do you know if Pinterest is the right network for your small business marketing strategy? Let’s dive in and look at key demographics to see if your target audience is using Pinterest!
· Women: As of 2019, 81% of Pinterest users are females and 60% of new signups are women. In fact, the primary demographic for Pinners is women between 25 and 40 years old.
· Men: While Pinterest is primarily used by women, men now make up 40% of new signups. While it still may seem like a small demographic of users, if you zero in on their interests you can still penetrate this market using Pinterest. The top categories for men include Food, Drink, and Technology. So if you are targeting men interested in these topics, Pinterest is a great option for your business marketing strategy.
· Millennials: It is reported that half of all millennials use Pinterest, and that millennials use Pinterest as much as they use Instagram. So, if you’re looking for a way to reach the millennial mind, it might be time to start pinning.
· Annual Income between $50K and $100K: Half of all Pinterest users earn $50K or greater each year while 40% have a household income of $100K or greater. Since 93% of active pinners said they use Pinterest to plan for purchases, this is a great way to target your audience based on socioeconomic information and influence their buying decisions.
· Art Enthusiasts and Hobby Junkies: The three top categories on Pinterest are Art, Art Supplies, and Hobbies. If your target audience is enthusiastic about creative hobbies, Pinterest might be the perfect place for your small business.
· Food Enthusiasts: If you are trying to reach a demographic that loves food, Pinterest is your place. There are over 1.7 billion recipes on Pinterest, making it a great avenue to reach an audience interested in cooking or food.
· Home and Lifestyle Topics: As a whole, Pinterest users favor topics related to home and lifestyle. These topics include the previously mentioned Art, Hobbies, and Food categories as well as Flowers, Gifts, Health and Beauty, Clothing and Apparel, and Home, Garden, Pool and Spa. As you can see, these top categories provide thousands of opportunities to creatively influence your target audience as they browse for lifestyle inspiration!
Lindy Chaffin Start is principal and creative director at Unstoppable Start Studios based in Atlanta, Georgia. She contributes her knowing and talents as a marketer to small businesses across the country and listeners around the world.
To learn more about how Pinterest can fit into your social media strategy, contact us.